HE’E Planning Meeting
January 15, 2013
The Learning Coalition Office, 841 Bishop St. Suite 301
Attendees: Kimberly Kepnersy-Bounmy, Chris Jackson (EOEL), Lauren Baer (TLC), Matt Lorin (TLC), Calvin Endo (PTSA), Sue Emley (PPS), Mary Weir (FACE), Melody Vega (EOEL) Kelly Miyamura (TFA), Cynthia Okazaki (PACT), Melody Vega (EOEL) Cheri Nakamura (HE‘E), Kathy Bryant (HE‘E)
Objective: To finalize recommendations to full Coalition on Legislative policy/initiatives. Session opens January 16. To identify HE‘E member roles during session. Update on member activities.
Prospective Legislative Actions
- Early Learning –Update on Governor’s package
- Melody Vega from the Governor’s office updated everyone on what we can expect in the legislative session from Executive Office of Early Learning.
- Preschool can choose to participate or not in program
- School Readiness Program–a lot more than licensing
- Will kids be able to participate part-time? Not sure of this.
- School day school year funding only for DOE school year
- If it is for the full year, prorating is possible but, there is not a prorating mechanism at this point.
- Would there be a geographic requirement?
- Constitutional challenge—private pre-schools are not allowed to receive public funding. A temporary workaround is being considered. For this reason, education cannot be mentioned in programs.
Action: GBA will track all early learning bills
- Family School Partnership Act–status update. Bill to be introduced.
- Stay with California? Group agreed to stay with California’s criteria. 40 hours a year and up to 8 hours a month. On small business, it would be companies with less than 25 employees.
- We want to target parents that aren’t active
- What about multiple kids? The California law covers families, so hours are not per child.
- What are school activities?
- IEP meetings, field trips, sporting events, open house, fairs, parent teacher conferences, activities that are appropriate and reasonable
Action: Members to take back to their constituent groups—provide input. HE‘E staff will meet with Chamber on 1/23 to get feedback. Staff will follow bill.
- Instructional Hour—2 separate bills to be introduced: one for bell schedule and one for instructional hour
- We supported the bill last year
- Will probably introduce one bill on bell schedules and one on instructional time
Action: Melanie Bailey and Kimberly Kepnersy-Bounmy will be tracking.
- Safe Schools Act—Bill to be introduced
- Bill idea came from Keiki Caucus
- At last bullying task force meeting, the group agreed to align the language in the bill to Chapter 19
- Bill clarifies definition of and prohibitions against. It also asks for an appropriation for training.
- One member commented that DOH has to step in—it should be partnership between DOE and DOH
- Exempts private schools
Action: Ask Jenny Lee if she might track the bill. Otherwise staff will track. Possible future step would be changing Chapter 19
- School Land Trust Bill—HIPA presentation identified potential bill for school lands
- Original bill SB1385 to create the education trust may be re-introduced
Action: HE‘E staff to track
- Family Engagement Senate Concurrent Resolution—2012 report submitted. Next steps: Should we continue?
- Group had no objections to finishing the work of SCR79.
- Possible next step would be pursuing an Advisory Group to DOE
Action: HE‘E staff to give input to workgroup and explore advisory group idea
Recap of Board of Education Strategic Plan
- Finalized Goal 1 and 3 Metrics
- Community Children’s Council—how to evolve
- P-20 –Update on Early Learning Family Engagement Standards and Feedback on College and Career Ready Expectations
- Community Schools Workshop, INPEACE
- Hawaii Work to Rules Movement
- Group agreed to hear Work to Rules presentation
- Staff report: meetings attended and info gathered
- New members
- Upcoming meetings
Action: Set up meeting with Work to Rules
Meeting adjourned at 11:00am