HE’E Planning Meeting
August 6, 2013
The Learning Coalition Office, 841 Bishop St. Suite 301
Attendees: Wendy Nakasone (US Army), Clif Tanabe (LGN), Kelly Miyamura (TFA), Karen Ginoza (FACE), Kevin Traynor (UH), PJ Foehr (Foehrward Thinking), Margaret Higa (HIDA), Kalei Inn (Kalei Inn PhD and Associates)
- Update on FS Partnership Initiative-List for Schools
Cheri Nakamura gave an update on the status.Letter and list was sent to DOE. HE’E will continue to convene workgroups to work on actions for the remaining four standards.
- Update on Strive HI Performance System (ESEA Flex Implementation)
Members still feel that communication could be improved with respect to new initiatives such as Strive HI and Common Core. Karen Ginoza commented that parents still don’t understand the standards based report card. PJ Foehr added that unless the communication chain from CAS to principals to teachers to students is clear, information is not going to get to the students/families. Kevin Tryanor felt that perhaps a needs assessment should have been done to ask what parents want to know. Report Card –Principals-Teachers-Students
- Update on DOE’s Look at Attendance/School Safety
- Constitutional Amendment Campaign and National School Choice
Members had mixed feelings about both the upcoming ConAm campaign and also the movement for school choice.
10:10-10:30 Member Updates: 2013-14 Projects, Activities, Events, etc.
- FACE Listening to Teachers-Presentation by Clif Tanabe and Karen Ginoza