HE’E Planning Meeting
May 13, 2014
The Learning Coalition Office, 841 Bishop St. Suite 301
9:00 -11:00 am
Attendees: Ethan Allan (PREL), Sue Emley (PPS) Gordon Miyamoto (DOE), Mary Weir (FACE), Paula Adams (Kaho‘omiki), Karen Ginoza (FACE), Cheri Nakamura (HE‘E)
9:00-9:15 Introduction and Announcements
- PPS’s Lois Yamauchi will be on Thursday 5/15 Insights on PBS
- Sue Emley attended PEP Parent Leadership training. DOH is sponsoring PLIT Parent Leadership training.
9:15-10:15 Legislative Wrap Up
HE‘E Supported Bills that passed:
- Mandatory Kindergarten HB1487
- Superintendent’s Salary HB2257
- State Budget HB1700
- Governor’s Messages for BOE Nominees, Don Horner, Jim Williams, Grant Chun
- YRBS Resolution SCR51
HE‘E Supported bills that didn’t pass:
- Instructional Hours HB1675
- Early Learning HB2276
- Family Child Interactive Programs SB2975
- Build out for Public Pre-Schools HB1676
- Fun Five Afterschool HB2109
- REACH Afterschool HB1756
- Air Conditioning SB2424
The group congratulated Karen Ginoza who advocated with others in a loose coalition to get the minimum wage bill passed. Cheri asked Karen if she might share her advocacy experience in a meeting—Karen welcomed the opportunity.
The group wanted to focus on a top issue, in which advocacy can be done and a “win” could be achieved. The following are possible considerations:
- Safe Routes for Schools—DOT has monies that aren’t being used that could be allocated to DOE to help create safer traffic conditions at schools—crosswalks, street lights, etc. PPS has taken this up as one of their priorities.
- Federal Dollars for Breakfast—Federal SNAP monies being wasted—monies can pay for breakfast, afterschool snacks, etc. Appleseed Center taking lead
- Afterschool Network-wants to establish minimum criteria for staff, professional development and curriculum. Kaho‘omiki and Afterschool Network asking for grant from Mott Foundation.
Sue Emley suggested that a survey monkey be distributed to Coalition to get feedback from group. Once an issue is determined, then group can embark on action.
10:15-10:45 Current Initiatives Update
- Update on recent BOE Meetings
Cheri updated group on issues at the Board of Education.
- SBAC—need parent representative
- YRBS-presentation given-Possible Meeting
- Common Core Outreach with HIDOE
- Great filming of Kailua Intermediate
- New committee formed to highlight the benefits of HIDOE
- School Report Card- PTSA Conference
- Executive Office of Early Learning, Hawaii Early Learning and Development Standards (HELDS) and Family Partnership Guidelines (FPG) for Early Childhood Settings
- The 21st Annual Children and Youth Summit (CYS) will take place on Friday, October 10 from 8am-2pm at the State Capitol.
10:45-11:00 Possible Topics for Future Meetings
- SBAC Assessment
- Presentation on YRBS
- Karen Ginoza
Meeting Adjourned 11:00 am