HE’E Planning Meeting
July 12, 2016
The Learning Coalition
9:10-10:00: HE’E is pleased to have Kelly Stern, School Climate Transformation Coordinator for Project HI AWARE (Advancing Wellness and Resilience in Education) School Transformation Grant, who will give a presentation about the $12.7 million dollar grant.
The project aims to increase access to mental health resources and support school staff through:
- Increasing awareness of mental health issues among school-age youth.
- Training about student social, emotional and behavioral concerns and referring to appropriate supports or services.
- Connecting children, youth, and families who struggle with mental health issues to appropriate school or community supports or services.
10:00-10:15: Thoughts about Hawaii Education Summit 2016
- Handout: School-Based Management, Lessons from International Experiences and Options for Turkey
10:15-11:00: Announcements and Other Business
HE’E Writing Workshop, Opinion-Editorial Writing: A Platform for Sharing Educator Practice/Expertise with Non-Educators, July 21, 2016, 9:00-11:00am, at The Learning Coalition (Validated Parking at Harbor Court Parking Garage, 66 Queen Street.)
Opinion-Editorial Writing: A Platform for Sharing Educator Practice with Non-Educators
According to a recent analysis conducted by ASCD, only 9% of education-related media is created by educators. Why aren’t more educators writing for non-educator audiences? The Opinion-Editorial Writing: A Platform for Sharing Educator Practice with Non-Educators professional learning workshop aims to 1) initiate educator competency development when communicating with non-educators through op-ed writing & 2) develop the confidence of education practitioners to better advocate for and message about their practice.
To that end, the Opinion-Editorial Writing workshop will explore:
- The power of sharing experience and expertise
- Writing with a distinct purpose
- Increasing awareness of audience
- Evaluating effective communication techniques
- The role of organized thinking prior to writing
- Crafting a narrative that matters
Brad Clark, the director of the Kentucky Teacher Fellowship for Hope Street Group, and co-founding board member of the National Blogging Collaborative, along with Christina Torres, contributing writer for Ed Week through The Intersection: Culture and Race in Schools, and a Hope Street Group Hawaii State Teacher Fellow, will lead the learning of the participants of this workshop.
HE’E Planning Meeting, Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 9:00-11:00 am at The Learning Coalition, 841 Bishop Street, Suite 301. (Validated Parking at Harbor Court Parking Garage, 66 Queen Street.)
Please save the date for guest speaker Stephen Terstegge, member of the Governor’s ESSA Task Force, who will give an update on the progress of the task force. We also plan to have DOE follow up on an update of the Strategic Plan.